KRM Consulting / SAFETY SPECIALISTS & CONSULTANTS: Focusing on Amusement Ride Safety, we provide Incident/Accident Investigation, Expert Witness & Litigation Support, Safety Programs & Training, Emergency Preparedness, First-Aid Facilities, Amusement Ride Safety Inspections (Missouri, Texas, & Virginia) & Advisement. Speedometer Calibration, & Other Safety Related Programs, Information, & Services



KRM Consulting
2608 West Grace Street | Richmond VA 23220-1944 |   | Sunday, March 01, 2015
[phone]Serving the USA & The World!:
Phone: 804-342-1808 (calls answered 24 hrs/day!)

Body fonts include Verdana, Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, or sans-serif. Masthead & footer fonts are Verdana & Geneva or sans-serif. Page is written in valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional & uses CSS2 to control presentation styles. This site is Section 508 compliant as of 2002-10-27.


Amusement Ride Safety

Our Mission

"Our business is amusement ride safety along with safety planning, training, and programs for the construction and manufacturing industries. To make operations & industries safer, we develop Risk Management and Loss Control plans. We accomplish this through inspection and through developing and assisting clients in implementing policies and procedures to reduce losses. Combining these with up-to-date KRM Consulting recommended training programs for staff and management, results in an effective approach for improving and maintaining safety standards throughout your organization. Incidents or accidents can happen in spite of even the best safety training and planning, and when they do, our services extend to include incident/accident ivestigation and litigation support."
-- , KRM Consulting

At KRM Consulting, our first priority is to provide the necessary Risk Management, Loss Control and Inspection services across a variety of industries. At all times we will remain firm in our commitment to a proactive approach to handling client needs.

Safety Specialists: Our objective is to provide the best possible advice on how to handle your specific safety situation, wherever it may be; an amusement park, specific amusement ride, carnival, fair, festival, manufacturing facility or heavy construction site.

Incident investigation: While keeping in mind that our goal is to find the facts of the incident for the purpose of prevention in the future, should you need us after an incident or significant event, our staff will assist in investigating the incident with the purpose of uncovering all pertinent information that may have had a bearing on that incident.

"An expert witness is someone possessed of special knowledge, skill, training, and education that goes beyond the level of experience of ordinary members of the public, which experience, when taken as a whole, uniquely qualifies him or her to render an opinion about matters before the Court."

See our "Safety Notes" page for useful and timely articles on various safety issues. Information you can use today!

Who We Serve

Amusement Parks and Ride Owners
Fairs, Festivals & Exhibitions
Hospitality Industry
Entertainment Industry
Insurance Companies
State & Local Government
Auditoriums & Arenas
Family Entertainment Centers
Construction & Manufacturing Industries

Focus Areas

A. Incident/Accident Investigation

  • Reconstruction
  • Litigation Assistance
  • Expert Witness
  • Technical support

B. Safety Programs

  • Evaluation & Development
  • Training Videos (hundreds of topics to chose from)
  • Operational & Procedural Evaluation & Development
  • Technical assistance for manual development
  • Safety Audits

C. Training

  • Crisis Media Training
  • Spokesperson Training
  • In-House Safety Training

D. Emergency Preparedness

  • Hazard Mitigation
  • Emergency Planning
  • Technical Support

E. First-Aid Facilities

  • Development
  • Evaluation

F. Inspections

  • We are certified for Official State Amusement Ride Inspections in the following jurisdictions:

    1. Missouri
    2. Texas
    3. Virginia
    4. West Virginia

G. Speedometer Calibration

"Contact us today, to discuss your safety program, training, emergency preparedness, and other related concerns."
-- , KRM Consulting

What You Need To Know
Before You Rent or Purchase
A Bounce/Jump House

March 2009

They are called many things; moonwalk, bounce house, bounce, jumpy thing or just inflatable. There is one thing they are not, they are not toys. There are strict procedures and guidelines on how to set them up and how to operate them. There are many professional companies and individuals who are in the business and do a very good job of helping facilitate you and your child's fun. We see them in parks, at schools, churches, stores, birthday parties, block parties, automobile dealers, grand openings, radio station remotes and just about any event where people come together. The comments that follow are designed specifically for events that are open to the public. Private events should follow the same guidelines.

Here are my tips that can make your event go smoothly. You need to make sure that the business or individual is licensed and insured in your locality. If applicable in your locality you need to make sure the device itself is permitted and inspected by the authority having jurisdiction (i.e. county, town, city or state). If there is some type of inspection in your locality, you need to verify that it has been performed. Part of the permitting and inspection process may include liability insurance. You need to check and verify or see the original certificate of insurance, no copies. Your homeowner's insurance will not cover any incidents that may occur while the inflatable is on your property. The person or business you are using is making money and as with any business they have operating expenses and cost. Insurance is one of them.

Now that you have the research and the paperwork done it is time to focus on the setup of the inflatable. You need to make sure that the area you are using to set up the inflatable is free from hazards, including underground, above ground and on the ground. This will involve the local utility locater service that operates in your community. The number is usually found in the front of most telephone directories. Your local utility company can also provide the number via their customer service number. The utility locater service should make the area 2-3 days in advance of your rental/event. They use spray paint which will not harm your lawn. The colors will disappear when you cut your grass. By the way, do not cut your lawn between the time it is marked and you have your event.

During the setup, it is all about location. Take care to have the surface area that users come in contact with face away from the sun. This is very important in the summer months. Facing north is the best option. Use the measurements of the inflatable for positioning. If you have a 15' x 15' unit you want to be at least 15' away from the nearest object or hazard in all directions. That distance would increase as the size of the inflatable increases. The inflatable should have a protective cover placed between your lawn and the inflatable. No discoloration should occur provided your event is just one day. The cover may or may not be held down with spikes that look like giant nails. The inflatable is then rolled out, the blower is attached and inflation may begin. Some times stakes, sandbags or counterweights are put in place before inflation. This is a good idea. Most people do not think of an inflatable as a sail, but it is a giant sail and if enough winds get in it or through it, it will fly away children and all. Every inflatable may have different anchoring requirements. There are many factors to consider such as the type of soil, is the soil wet or dry, sandy or rocky. Only the manufacturer and the person providing you the inflatable will know the requirements. If the requirement are not known the Consumer Product Safety Commission requires at least 75 pounds per anchorage point for a standard inflatable or 500 pounds per anchorage point for the large inflatable such as slides. Stakes that can be used are metal straight or screw stakes that range from 32 - 42 inches in length. At least 75 percent of the length of the stake should be in the ground. The ends of the stakes should be covered and protect to prevent tripping hazards. The bottom line is; if the inflatable has a loop, d-ring, eyelet, strap or other place of attachment, it should be connected to an anchoring device. Do not attachment any anchoring device to a tree, motor vehicle, building, pole or other device.

Protective mats such as a tumbling or wrestling mat are required at all entrance and exits. They should cover the fall hazard area. Mats are important on grass as well. Take a fresh egg out to your yard and drop it from 3-4 feet. It may not break completely, however it will crack.

By now the electricity should be ready to be connected to the blower/motors. A general rule of thumb is you will need a 20 amp, 110 volt circuit for each blower/motor. It should be a dedicated circuit with no other devices/outlets on it. You are out doors so it also needs to be a GFIC outlet. That is the funny looking outlet with the buttons between the receptacles that is usually found on bathroom, kitchen and outdoor electrical outlets. Avoid running electric cords to outlets inside a building if possible. A generator may also be used. Make sure the generator is properly grounded per the manufacturer and the National Electric Code Article 525. After everything is properly set up and connected it is time to turn the switch of. The blowers will make a lot of noise and you will have a hard time talking and hearing people. If a generator is used there will also be lots of noise.

During inflation the inflatable may look like it is not inflatable properly. The people setting it up may pull or tug on various areas. This is normal as sometimes the material is cold and just does not want to move quickly. One the inflatable is fully inflated the blowers will continue to run and it is normal to feel air escaping from areas around the seams. There are various areas on the inflatable that are used for deflation. They should be closed and secured. You are just about ready to go.

Before you allow your child or any child into any inflatable there needs to be a responsible and trained adult supervising the bouncing and jumping. This is necessary for many reasons some of them are: all manufacturer state it in their manual, the Consumer Product Safety Commission says so and the authority's having jurisdiction over inflatable's say so as well as the amusement ride/device industry. The trained/responsible person must have no other duties or responsibilities other than making sure the users are doing so safely. Safety Rules should be posted and enforced. I look at the responsible person as a life guard. Give them a whistle and when someone is not obeying the rules, let that person know that what they are doing is wrong. Remember the blowers make a lot of noise so you need to be heard. On inflatable's that have slides or courses where the one attendant can not see or view the entire area then you should have two trained attendants.

Some other tips to make your event safe and happy and be sure to have a telephone close by in case of an emergency. A first aid kit would be handy in the event of a minor injury. An ABC rated fire extinguisher would also be a good idea. If using a generator it is a must. Keep all fuel cans away from the generator and never re-fuel a generator while hot or running. No Smoking while handling fuel.

# # #

KRM Consulting
2608 West Grace Street
Richmond, VA 23220-1944


copyright © 2002 - 2014, KRM Consulting

: web site design/management:™ CG 
: linux based hosting solutions:

Valid XHTML 1.0! 

Valid CSS! 

Level Triple-A conformance icon, W3C-WAI Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0